Monday, February 22, 2010

Advanced Elvis Course

Part memoir, part long poem, part spiritual meditation, CA Conrad's Advanced Elvis Course totally rocks.

Basically it's notes, reflections, and poems about his study of Elvis, particularly his visit to Graceland (and some of my favorite moments were snippets of dialogues with a small gaggle of Elvis fans). Elvis is compared to Jesus and Benjamin Franklin, but really, this a joyously irreverent tribute love made visible through the poet's quality of attention. If that makes any sense...

"This morning I woke up and thought, "maybe I've gone insane? Maybe this is what it is to have gone insane? How can I be sure?" But I haven't... really I haven't. I change nothing, don no special wardrobe, no fasting, no commanding, demanding, nothing like that. I don't even care if I'm the only person who believes in Elvis the way I do, though it's a comfort to have met hundreds who in fact do, people from Israel, people from Australia, from France, from Japan... The beginning of all faith must be like this: Thought silly enough by outsiders to be ignored, and in that special place left to us, we weave the most healing magic, and understand in this beginning, how our collective force creates an egg of warmth, a cycle of radiation that can enter any one of us at any time with a simple focus on that egg and bend the force, and only for the good, and love."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it