Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Jacob's Ladder

Jacob's Ladder is one of the scariest, most unsettling, most uncomfortable movies I've ever watched.

Every moment is creepy and fraught. The character's isolation within his hallucinogenic world is unrelentingly heartbreaking. There's no air, no reprieve, no break from the haunting decrepitude.

I had seen this before, years ago on video. I think this was actually my third time watching it. Still, I was so tense I couldn't breathe.

The movie is about a Vietnam vet who appears to be suffering post traumatic stress disorder, but the quality of his "symptoms" go beyond hallucinations and flashbacks. It's as if he's living in nightmare. Every person seems exude evil, every setting seems unforgivingly grim and sinister.

The ending is a bit comforting, and it leaves some questions unanswered. I think the first time I saw it, I was baffled, but it makes more sense now (after several viewings, of course).

No comments: