Saturday, February 27, 2010

Parsons Dance Company

I watched this interesting DVD that presents seven Parsons Dance Company dances. I had expected a documentary about the company, so was surprised to find that it's seven entire filmed dances. Each is introduced with a snippet from a conversation with the choreographer, but basically it just showcases the dances.

Well, obviously it would be MUCH better to see them live. I found it difficult to watch on my computer. It just doesn't have the crackle and awe of a live performance. Also, it was filmed in 1992 and the video quality and style, as well as some of the dances themselves, had a cheesy 80s feel.

The dancing was still wonderful and engaging and complex and demanding. But I wasn't exactly swept up into the experience.

The dances in this compilation are: "Fine Dining" which was interesting but very, very 80s. "Brothers" which was a beautiful male duet. "Reflections of Four" which was four solo female dances, each done in water and rain. Beautiful, but a little boring. "Caught" which was unbelievable live, and interesting to see again on film (it's the solo strobe light piece). "Scrutiny" which I found so boring I fast forwarded. I hated the music, although I already forgot who the composer was. "The Envelope" which was a very quirky piece set to Rossini. It was like a combination of ballet and some weird 70s avante-garde thing. Or Mummenschantz. I liked it, but confess that I fast forwarded this as well. The final dance was "Nascimento" which was a lovely, colorful, exuberant finale.

No comments: