Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

I just finished Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

It's a short, taut, and wonderful read. It is written from the perspective of an autistic teenager, and as he narrates, his lack of empathy and isolation become incredibly poignant. The emotions of people around him seep through, and he tells a complex story about his family's problems and it is truly moving. The other characters in the book emerge as nuanced and multifaceted, in spite of the fact that they are described through the lens of someone who cannot read emotions.

It was a pretty great book, and a fun, easy read. I read it in about three sittings; it's perfect for a lazy weekend.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm enjoying your blog, Ms. Diana. Its funny this is here because I was just reading about Asperger's syndrome this morning--in particular the limited emotional capacity and isolation. I tried to break things off with the guy I met after your reading...He said, "I know I can be difficult, I mean it just takes me a while to open up, I think I have a slight case of Asperger's syndrome." Hmmm. Sounds like an interesting read. You sum it up nicely!

Diana said...

It's also a fast read, so I definitely recommend it. I wanna hear more about your Asperger's friend, but maybe that's an off blog convo...