Monday, January 25, 2010

Amadeus

I watched Amadeus last night on Watch Instantly. I had seen this marvelous movie about Salieri's malignant jealousy of Mozart many years ago. I may even had seen it twice before.

Salieri's obsessive religiosity and love of music combines with his resentment of Mozart's flamboyant, manic, and childish personality in such a way that his envy and hatred become an art in and of themselves.

This time around, in addition to my interest in the dramatic relationship between the two protagonists, I was also interested in the treatment of opera and the period in classical music. I loved the opera scenes, and was proud of myself for recognizing bits here and there of Don Giovanni and The Magic Flute. After I watched the movie I wikipediad Mozart and Salieri and understand the poetic license taken with the movie and that it was not historically accurate.

I enjoyed this movie immensely and feel that I learned a bit about music at the same time.

No comments: