Thursday, January 14, 2010

Gabriel Orozco at MOMA
























Ducking out of the meshugas that was the Tim Burton exhibition, I found myself wandering around the Gabriel Orozco retrospective at MOMA.

I had never heard of this apparently very significant and influential sculptor. But I immediately fell in love.

Not with his shoe box or his yogurt container tops.

But with his spit and ink drawings on graph paper.

His pen and ink pieces.

And, most incredibly, his biomorphic and strange and beautiful ceramic pieces.

I loved his materials, his textures, his eye.

Unfortunately I had a lot of trouble finding images of the work that I saw. I love this bicycle piece, but there was so much more that really resonated with me.

I might go back, because when I looked online for Orozco images, I found things from this show that I don't recall seeing. In particular a giant mobile skeleton of a whale or something. Don't know how I missed it -- oh one thing that might have contributed to my confusion was that a big group of middle school children flooded the exhibition, and so I was kind of itching to vamoose, in spite of how much I was enjoying the work.

No comments: