Friday, January 15, 2010

South Pacific

Today I got up early and waited on line for $20 tickets to South Pacific at Lincoln Center.

Our seats were excellent! We were about ten rows from the front and slightly to the side.

The show was very entertaining and absorbing. The cast was energetic, the music catchy and intelligent. Altogether, a very pleasant evening.

I did have some issues with it. None of the performances were really mind-blowing or anything. And I think because I've been going to so much opera, the singing felt kind of like whatever to me. Nothing special, no amazing feat.

Also, I thought that it didn't handle the racism very well. It's an explicit part of the story and it just seemed like the main character thought it over and decided not to be racist anymore. Like it's that easy.

No comments: