Thursday, January 14, 2010

Tim Burton at MOMA
























I had been dying to see the Tim Burton exhibition at MOMA and finally went this afternoon.

It was a huge show, with tons of drawings and sculptures. It really sucked you into his aesthetic and particular imagination.

The problem was, it was so fucking crowded. I skipped a lot of stuff because I felt cranky and couldn't deal with the crowds. I didn't feel like I missed that much, though, because, even though I find his work wonderful and the output of his imagination is breath-taking, I still also find it a bit redundant. There wasn't that much reason to see every single drawing he ever made. Also, I think this is a case where seeing the work live in person isn't that necessary. You really can get a sense of it from other media. I would be just as happy to look through a book of his work. Which is not to say that I don't think he deserves a retrospective at the MOMA. He is an important artist and I'm glad to see him recognized.

But the crowds! Jeesh!

No comments: