Monday, May 2, 2011

The Murder of Emmett Till

Just watched a 2003 PBS American Experience program, The Murder of Emmett Till.

I hadn't known much about this case, not much more than it was a famous lynching of a black boy who whistled at a white woman in the South. The Murder of Emmett Till tells the story very well, in a pretty basic, straight-forward narrative. Because it was so high profile at the time, there was plenty of footage. It seemed even as the events unfolded that people realized something historical was happening.

This is a well done 53 minute piece. Not a ton of analysis or anything, but it gives a strong sense of the ugly and pervasive racism of the South in the 1950s, as well as of the significance of this event for the civil rights movement.

3 comments:

Cheyenne said...

I had watch the DVD of Emmett Till in my classroom this year and I dont know why but its like I can fell his pain hate filled my heart when I seen that the mean were not called as guilty than I almost cried when I seen the photo's of what they did to him. Emmett was such a handsome youngman and Im just glad we dont go through this type of stuff these days in my eyes Emmett is such a hero I almost started hating white people but than I remembered what all we been through to get where we are now but actually it doesnt even matter because blacks killing black and whites killin whites basiclly we all killing eachother. I will never forget emmett till he is My hero R.I.P Emmett Till <3

Anonymous said...

how sad :(

Jamie said...

very very sad:(