Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Toy Story


I watched Toy Story because I have heard such good things about Toy Story 3 and feel like I have to watch all of them to watch the third one. It's stupid, I know. But people have told me they're all good.

And Toy Story was pretty damn good. Not amazing or anything, but totally engaging. The animation was excellent. The narrative and characters were a bit of one-dimensional (and I realize it's really for kids), but the writing was good enough that I wasn't bored at any time. So I guess I liked it.

My favorite part were the creepy toys that the bad kid made. It was scary when Woody and Buzz were trapped in the room with them, and I bet it must have been terrifying for children.

One thing I thought was interesting was a sort of implied class thing with the bad kid. His home environment was physically decrepit. He slept on a bare mattress and his carpet was threadbare and holey. I don't know what to make of that. It's just something I noticed and feel kind of critical of, but I haven't really unpacked that criticism.

No comments: