Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Panic in Needle Park

The Panic in Needle Park is a gritty, depressing, unsentimental movie from 1971 with Al Pacino and Kitty Winn. They play heroin users who are in love, and the film is like an extreme close-up of their relationship.

It is rather slow, and is much more character-driven than plot driven. The directing was strong in a claustrophobic, disturbing way that I appreciate. And the acting was excellent.

I usually don't care for junkie movies, but this takes place in 1970 in "Needle Park" on 72nd and Broadway. I grew up on West 78th, and was curious about whether I'd recognize the neighborhood (I didn't). For some reason I was also drawn to the title. And vintage Pacino...

The screenplay, surprisingly, is by Joan Didion and John Gregory Dunne and it is directed by Jerry Schatzberg. There were many acutely tense moments, and the ending was powerful (and had an understated pathos to it... very moving.)

No comments: