Monday, January 4, 2016

Looking Back on 2015

2015 was a stressful year for me, and unfortunately I read very little, fiction or non-fiction, which I regret and hope to turn around in 2016. Anyway, going through the year of What I Read and Watched, I have chosen several standouts.

Of the few art shows I saw Without/Color (part 1), was my favorite, featuring hauntingly beautiful and stark images by Meridith McNeal.

I enjoyed all the Netflix comedy specials I watched this year, but Aziz Ansari's Dangerously Delicious was the standout.

I always love dance, and it is always hard to choose a favorite, but this year I'm going to say Momix: Alchemia, for it's vibrant over-the-top, gorgeous production.

The most gripping documentary I watched in 2015 was hands down The Jinx.

My favorite novel was The First Bad Man.

I only saw a few movies in the theater this year, and most of them were kind of schlocky. Diary of a Teenage Girl, however, was excellent! Of the many movies I streamed, the favorites were all films I was viewing for a second time: Lovely and Amazing, Year of the Dog, and The World According to Garp.

I saw a number of great live music performances that I totally loved. Standouts include Macy Gray at City Winery, Sun Kil Moon at Town Hall, and Joan Armatrading at The Concert Hall.

I read numerous amazing poetry books this year, but my all time favorites were books by Joanna Fuhrman, and Ana Bozicevic. The Year of Yellow Butterflies and Rise in the Fall are both incredibly beautiful.

Once again, Company XIV made my year. This company is amazing in so many ways, it is always a year end favorite, big time. Cinderella, which I saw twice, is a fantastic piece of theater.

Finally, TV. I watched a lot this year. Got obsessively into several amazing shows. Of all of them I was most blown away by the second season of Transparent, the third season of Orange is the New Black, all of Mad Men, and the second season of The Comeback.

No comments: