Thursday, December 20, 2007

The Bicycle Thief

The Bicycle Thief was so sad! I was expecting a bittersweet Truffaut type thing. I don't know why I thought that. But this was brutal. It was about an extremely poor man in Rome whose bicycle gets stolen. This bicycle was crucial to his employment and his family will be destitute without it. He and his little son, a really sweet kid, go all over Rome trying to track it down. You got to see all these different glimpses of Italian life during the depression (I think). But it was just too heartbreaking. They got more and more desperate and finally the man tries to steal a bicycle and ends up being mortified in front of his son. Like I said, brutal.

The quality of the DVD wasn't so hot. And for some reason there were all these chunks of dialogue they didn't bother to translate.

No comments: