Sunday, December 23, 2007

Tootsie

What a perfect way to spend a rainy Sunday. I saw Tootsie as a kid (more or less) and loved it at the time. I was pretty sure it wouldn't hold up, that it would be too dated. But, I really enjoyed it. Fun dialogue, Pollack-directed, slightly interesting stuff on gender, etc. There was something sweetly naive about it, the nervousness around homosexuality and feminism. That was dated, I suppose, but it just made me feel nostalgic for the pre-post days. You know, when irony wasn't always on some level self-referential.

Dustin Hoffman was exactly Dustin Hoffman, doing everything that he does that makes him who he is and makes him so likable. Jessica Lang was charming. Teri Garr and Bill Murray were hilarious in supporting roles. Ah, 1985 was so long ago! 22 years. It's astonishing.

No comments: