Monday, December 10, 2007

Ma Vie En Rose

I put this on for something to watch while preparing and eating my Lean Cuisine after a run. I meant to just watch the beginning and get to work, as I had seen it when it first came out. But I got so absorbed in it, I couldn't turn it off. It's about a seven year old boy who wants to be a girl and how his family deals with their own homophobia (they never, ever call it that) and the neighborhood's ostracizing. It was very intense, the vehemence with which the community refused to accept him or his family. The boy's internal world was represented by these ultra-vivid, over-the-top scenes of a Barbie-type doll and a Barbie-type world. My favorite character was the mother. She was very sweet with her son, but turned on him under the stress in a terrible way. She managed to be gracious and in-your-face at the same time with the neighbors. I just thought she was very well-rounded.

No comments: